Tasha came to our office and is wondering why the dentist said she needs braces!!!
Everyone wants a naturally aligned and beautiful smile, and it is no secret that braces can help deliver one! There are more benefits from wearing braces than just the straightening of teeth. Along with the esthetic benefits of wearing the braces, health benefits can also be experienced. Most patients with orthodontic issues may not be aware of the dangers associated with improper or misaligned teeth. Let’s discuss the other benefits of wearing braces and how it can improve your oral health.
1. Tooth Decay and Gum Disease: Crowded teeth causes overlap, which create tight spaces between your teeth. This can make it very difficult to brush and floss effectively, which allows bacteria and plaque to build up, leading to tooth decay and gum disease. With orthodontic treatment, your teeth becomes properly aligned and allows for more effective brushing and flossing.
2. Damage to the Teeth: Protruding front teeth can be potentially hazardous, especially for individuals who are involved in activities such as sports that increase the risk of blunt force to the mouth. They are at a greater risk of chipping and breaking due to the positioning of the teeth. In order to avoid this damage to the teeth, we recommend braces.
3. Difficulties with Speech: Teeth play an essential role in speech. When they are not aligned, this affects your speaking patterns which can cause embarrassment and loss of confidence. Braces can adjust the positioning of the teeth to allow for distinct words pronunciation, clearer and more professional speech.
4. Bone Erosion: Poorly aligned teeth may place too much pressure on the jawbone due to a bad bite leading to bone erosion. Braces help in supporting the bones and tissues in your mouth, they move the periodontal ligaments by stretching the connective tissues and nerves. Braces help prevent erosion of the gums, and will alleviate pressure from the jawbone by fixing a bad bite over time. The bones naturally rebuild once they are settled in their new spot.
5. Digestion: Teeth play an important role in digestion. Before food enters your stomach, it has been partially digested by the teeth. Misaligned teeth may not play their role in breaking down food as effectively as they should. If your teeth are badly placed, braces can straighten them for optimal alignment for eating and chewing. Once you can chew properly with the help of braces, your food will be easily and fully digested.
Braces can help alleviate some oral health problems, and may save you a lot of money and time in the future. If you are not sure whether braces would be worth your time or money, consider the benefits above, and how they add to the value of this treatment. You will be getting more than just a beautiful smile!
At Choice Dental, we will be happy to answer your questions about orthodontic treatment or braces and how they can help you. You can visit us at our office in Victoria Island, Lagos or give us a call today at 0700(DENTIST) and set up a consultation appointment.